Sunday, March 11, 2012

Inspired by Moses and Harriet Tubman

Cincinnati is home to the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center and museum. No name is more familiar with transporting slaves from the South to freedom in the North, than Harriet Tubman who died on March 10, 1913.

In a 10 year period, after escaping from slavery herself, she led more than 300 slaves to freedom.

There was a lot going against her but she prevailed because she trusted the Lord. She is reported to have said, “Twant me, 'twas the Lord. I always told him, 'I trust to you. I don't know where to go or what to do, but I expect you to lead me', and he always did”.

No wonder then, that she was known as “Grandma Moses”.

Moses had a lot going against him when God called him from the burning bush. He was a runaway murderer, a Hebrew – an enslaved people with no civil rights – he grew up in a foster home (never mind a royal household). On top of that he had speech impediment.

There is no doubt that Harriet Tubman was inspired by the example of Moses and today many can equally be inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment