Saturday, April 21, 2012

"Touch me and see"


The Gospel Reading for this Third Sunday of Easter is from Luke 24:36b -48. Jesus appeared to his disciples while they were engaged in a discussion of his resurrection. They were "startled and terrified". He asked them why they had doubts about his presence.

Jesus invited his disciples to touch his wounds to experience his presence.

Perhaps we are wondering why he still bore the wounds of his suffering even after the resurrection. Didn't he arise with a spiritual body free from any weakness, disease, suffering or death?

It is true he conquered all those; meaning they no longer have power. But the world is still broken. There is brokenness in Over the Rhine; there is brokenness in our schools; and there is brokenness in homes and in workplaces.

And yes, Jesus is inviting everyone with the same words he invited the disciples: "Look at my hands and my feet; see that it is I myself. Touch me and see..." The call is to recognize him in the wounds, in the pain, in the suffering of those around us.

There are many opportunities during this National Volunteer Month to experience Jesus' presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment